[petsc-dev] Timeline for moving to new testing system?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 23 20:29:14 CDT 2017

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 7:06 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
> Is this conversion still a long-term thing or is it something that could
> be done quickly now?  I ask because it would be easier to maintain the
> next release if the new testing infrastructure is in place.

   Indeed.

   Once the backlog of crap in next is done we can try each day to convert over chunks of examples and if they succeed in next that night move them to master. But if this process doesn't go smoothly due to bugs in the test harness, needed new features in the test harness, or incompetent moving over to the new harness of "chunks of examples" we can be in the same position as now with so many broken branches in next that we it is hard to move forward. I'm worried that trying to move faster to the new test harness may slow us down and don't want lots of people independently converting examples willy-nilly producing a undebugable mess.