[petsc-dev] 3rd party GPU AMG solvers

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 14 09:22:49 CDT 2017

>     it will nonetheless require a lot of convincing that at best they
>     get moderate speed-ups, not the 580+x claimed in some of those early
>     GPU papers...
>

> Karli, we are talking about two different things. You are talking about
> performance, and I applaud you for that, but I am talking about giving
> customers what they want. They want to investigate GPUs. I will say that
> I do not anticipate seeing any performance improvement.

it is fine to say that "here is what you can try, but don't expect
performance gains". My experience is, however, that people then go
ahead, try it, *and* expect performance gains (of course for
inappropriate system sizes, etc.). Since they invested time in exploring
GPUs, there is an implicit expectation that there must be a ROI...

Best regards,
Karli