[petsc-dev] 3rd party GPU AMG solvers

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 14 08:29:56 CDT 2017

Hi Mark,

> A lot of this is driven by desires of DOE programs -- not your monkey
> not your circus -- but I think that we need to have a story for how to
> use GPUs, or whatever apps in our funding community want to do, and tell
> it dispassionately. We don't commit resources nor commit to design
> changes but just say this how one could do it.

it will nonetheless require a lot of convincing that at best they get
moderate speed-ups, not the 580+x claimed in some of those early GPU
papers...

> The fusion folks that I work with, and I assume other DOE offices, are
> just looking at their codes, subroutine by subroutine, and having
> postdocs look at GPUising them. We just need intelligent answers to
> their questions. Even if we as sentient and passionate human being have
> opinions on the approach that is implied by their questions, it is part
> of my job to just give them a professional answer.

In the past ~18 months I've worked with applications that wanted to use
GPUs in just that manner. Needless to say that you end up with touching
almost everything to actually beat an existing (efficient) CPU-based
application by less than a factor of 2. This involves MPI-parallel
applications; it's much easier to get higher speedups if you don't need
to communicate across ranks.

> I have enough now (thanks Jed and Lorena, et al!) to answer the AMGx
> question sufficiently, and if you could give me a quick assessment of
> where we are with hypre's GPU solver that would be great.

does "work in progress" suffice? ;-)

Best regards,
Karli