[petsc-dev] Introducing new "test harness" to PETSc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 18 18:55:21 CST 2017

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Scott Kruger wrote:

> It looks like adding a
> wPETSC_DIR=@wPETSC_DIR@
> in the script header will work (see config/example_template.py)
> with wPETSC_DIR then added to the variables that get substituted.
> Then convertExamples will just pass the arguments as it and it
> should *just work*.
>
> OK.

I've already added my change to balay/testharness-wPETSC_DIR - and merged to next.

> But out of curiosity, when I look at config/PETSc/Configure.py, it looks like
> wPETSC_DIR is only defined on Windows as a make macro:

Its defined in both the 'if' and 'else' blocks - so defined on all builds.

>   def configureWin32(self):
>     if self.compilers.CC.find('win32fe') >= 0:
>       self.addMakeMacro('wPETSC_DIR',petscdir)
>     else:
>       self.addMakeMacro('wPETSC_DIR',self.petscdir.dir)
>

> How does wPETSC_DIR get set for non-windows systems?
> I know how I am going to do it, but how does the current/legacy
> system do it?

For eg:
linux: http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/nightlylogs/archive/2017/01/17/configure_master_arch-cuda-double_es.log
wPETSC_DIR = /sandbox/petsc/petsc.clone
Windows: http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/nightlylogs/archive/2017/01/17/configure_master_arch-mswin-intel_ps4.log
wPETSC_DIR = C:/cygwin64/home/petsc/petsc.clone-2

We need this mapping so that 'ex10 -f ${wPETSC_DIR}' works with both linux and windows binaries.

Satish