[petsc-dev] Introducing new "test harness" to PETSc

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 20:25:14 CST 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:19 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > On Jan 17, 2017, at 8:13 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
> >

> > Use ${DATAFILESPATH} like we do in all the legacy tests.
> >
> > Not working
>
>   Why do you even listen to Jed, when you can listen to me. In this case
> the data files is in the PETSc share directory so you should use the
> ${PETSC_DIR} to point to it. Only files in the DATAFILESPATH directory
> should use $DATAFILESPATH

Okay, that worked. I have one test converted.

Gripes:

  1) How do I run an individual test run?

I use

  make -f gmakefile test searchin=plex

to run plex tests, and I think

  make -f gmakefile test searchin=plex*ex1

will work. However, how do I select ex1_2?

  2) How do I replace the output which exists with the output of the
current test run?

This is amazingly useful after changes.

  3) How do I give extra arguments with the make interface, rather than
test_harness?

Once I have all the functionality of my Python stuff,  I will throw it away.