[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Multigrid with defect correction

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 04:03:31 CST 2017

On 26 February 2017 at 05:30, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> >> Well, this is exactly what we do in pTatin.
> >
> >   So why didn't you fix it in PETSc at that time?
>
> I didn't know it "didn't work" because what we were doing did work.  (I
> think we used PCMG interfaces directly; we were mixing unassembled and
> assembled representations, plus Galerkin on coarser levels.)

I can confirm that Jed's recollection is correct.

The configuration used in ptatin was performed in the context of a
non-linear problem. Essentially all the MG setup has conducted during my
method for computeJacobian(). The setup / config for the different
operators was a little delicate, but the standard PCMG API permitted mixing
matrix-free, assembled and Galerkin coarse operators. For the Galerkin
case, I performed the call to MatPtAP myself in my computeJacobian()
function and would stuff the result into the appropriate KSP defining the
smoother.