[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Multigrid with defect correction

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Feb 25 21:31:19 CST 2017

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
> I think that would be more convincing with a concrete use case
> example.  Right now it sounds more like a additional complication for
> not much extra functionality,

I think it is less complication.  We nest preconditioners all the time,
sometimes several levels deep, and need various approximations within
FieldSplit and levels of MG.  LSC is a total hack, picking up auxiliary
operators and scaling via PetscObjectCompose.  Of course all this stuff
should ideally be computed as needed, but it's often more efficient to
assemble multiple operators in one traversal of elements.  I'm not
saying we should change this now, or necessarily ever, but I think the
system with exactly one Pmat is awkward.