[petsc-dev] Interface for supporting MKL sparse inspector-executor model?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Feb 13 22:11:57 CST 2017

>   Richard,
>
>    My gut feeling is that the "hint" based system should be used by default, who uses linear stuff only once (only people not doing real problems :-)). So you could just provide a  single flag to say don't use hints, useful for numerical comparisons. (This is all experimental, stuff anyways and will evolve).

You could process the hints using command-line options and not make a
programmatic API at this time.  If there is no good default, we can talk
about whether the important MKL hints are really MKL-specific or
something that other PETSc classes might be able to use.  (There are
uses cases for implicit conversion to ELL or a compressed
representation.)  But let's not make a programmatic hints API just yet.