[petsc-dev] Interface for supporting MKL sparse inspector-executor model?

Richard Mills richardtmills at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:33:46 CST 2017

Hi Barry,

I was thinking along those lines when I first considered putting together
an MKL-based matrix class, but I decided that I wanted to be able to
support the standard MKL sparse BLAS routines as well as the
inspector-executor model ones.  My plan was to add some logic to check to
see if a "matrix optimization" phase has been done, and use the
inspector-executor routines (where possible) if so.  Maybe it would be
better to have two matrix classes (one for the standard MKL sparse BLAS,
the other using the inspector-executor stuff), but that seemed to be adding
more classes than necessary (recognizing that we also need a BAIJMKL class
for the block CSR case).

Unfortunately, I note that, in my very limited experimentation so far, the
standard sparse BLAS routines from MKL are slightly slower than the
PETSc-provided kernels.  Which is good for PETSc, but bad for showing any
utility of my hacking on this front. =)

--Richard