[petsc-dev] Test harness upgrade

Scott Kruger kruger at txcorp.com
Fri Feb 10 17:41:32 CST 2017

On 2/10/17 4:28 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

>> To illustrate the point here, I will use examples
>> from ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex10.c
>>
>> Consider this test block:
>>
>>   test:
>>      suffix: 19
>>      requires: datafilespath
>>      args: -f0 ${DATAFILESPATH}/matrices/poisson1
>>      args: -ksp_type cg -pc_type icc -pc_factor_levels 2
>>      test:
>>      test:
>
>   Why is test listed twice here?

To invoke mpiexec twice.  The first invocation
will have no additional args beyond what the parent
has.  The second invocation adds an arg.

>>   test:
>>      requires: datafilespath
>>      args: -f0 ${DATAFILESPATH}/matrices/medium
>>      args: -ksp_type bicg
>>      test:
>>         suffix: 4
>>         args: -pc_type lu
>>      test:
>>         suffix: 5
>>
>> This will generate runex4.sh and runex5.sh that only
>> differ in the '-pc_type lu' in the arguments and in
>> the output file names.
>> One can quickly see that they are very similar tests,
>> and it's very compact in it's representation.
>
>   So the indentation is what indicates it is a subtest versus a completely new test?

Indentation only: subtest (mpiexec/diff with info inherited from parent)
Indentation+suffix: New test with info inherited from parent

>> Here is an example.  The key variable is
>> separate_testvars which says that the loop
>> variable should create separate tests.
>>
>>   test:
>>      suffix: 19
>>      requires: datafilespath
>>      args: -f0 ${DATAFILESPATH}/matrices/poisson1
>>      args: -ksp_type cg -pc_type icc
>>      args: -pc_factor_levels {{0 2 4}}
>>      separate_testvars: pc_factor_levels
>
>    Without the - ?

Yes.  Right now for loops have to be of the form:
    -var {{values}}
so it seemed less confusing to just specify var

>>      test:
>>         args:
>>      test:
>>         args: -mat_type seqsbaij
>>

>    Instead of having the ugly separate_testvars argument could you somehow indicate it with the loop definition?
>
>> args: -pc_factor_levels {{0 2 4}separate test output files}
>
> and
>
>> args: -pc_factor_levels {{0 2 4}shared test output file}

It's possible.

What about [[0 2 4]]  implying separate test output files?

Scott

Tech-X Corporation               kruger at txcorp.com
5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A       Phone: (720) 974-1841
Boulder, CO 80303                Fax:   (303) 448-7756