[petsc-dev] need c++ expert help

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Dec 31 19:08:35 CST 2017

> On Dec 31, 2017, at 7:05 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
> "Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
>>  I think it is just CXX.  The PCC business is the thing that magically changes from CC to CXX depending on --with-clanguage being set. But CXX is always the C++ linker.
>
> That would make me happy, but in that case, let's get rid of PCC_LINKER,
> SL_LINKER, DYNAMICLINKER, and LD_SHARED because they're all redundant.

  I think they are absolutely needed in the legacy make system.

   Since the gnumake system seems to have worked flawlessly for a long time I have no problem removing the legacy make system. Is that what you are proposing?

   Note you do have to have some mechanism to handle the --with-clanguage=cxx case

   Barry

>>  Barry

>>> What is it called?  I would like to just use CXX, but we have PCC_LINKER
>>> written out independently.  I don't know any circumstance in which
>>> PCC_LINKER is different from PCC, but maybe there is.  We should get rid
>>> of this duplication unless there is a specific circumstance in which
>>> they are different.
>>>
>>> $ grep mpicxx ompi/lib/petsc/conf/petscvariables
>>> CXX = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicxx
>>> CXXCPP = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicxx -E
>>>
>>> $ grep mpicc ompi/lib/petsc/conf/petscvariables
>>> SL_LINKER = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicc
>>> PCC = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicc
>>> PCC_LINKER = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicc
>>> CC = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicc
>>> DYNAMICLINKER = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicc
>>> CPP = /home/jed/usr/ccache/ompi/bin/mpicc -E