[petsc-dev] why does this inanity exist?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 08:39:38 CDT 2017

On 30 April 2017 at 05:53, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> TS already had mechanisms to turn on or off adaptivity (presumably) so why would an individual type need to reproduce this functionality except to drive users insane?

We do not have a clear mechanism for a TS subtype to decide on whether
adaptivity should be turn on or off by default. The rationale to turn
it off by default are more or less described in other related email:
the error estimator is bad quality (or lower order than the one of the
LTE of the method).

Please note that THETA and ALPHA do use the standard TSAdapt
infrastructure, the only thing this "use adapt" flag does is to turn
it off by default. If you consider it appropriate, I can remove all
that code for the "use adapt" flag in THETA and ALPHA, users can then
turn off adaptivity with `-ts_adapt_type none`.

Barry, just read my other email about issues with the LTE as computed
in THETA and ALPHA , take a decision on it and I'll promptly fire up a
PR for your review.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459