[petsc-dev] WSL upgrade

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 12 22:11:32 CDT 2017

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Jed Brown wrote:
> >
> >> WSL can now run Windows executables from bash (and vice-versa).  Is this
> >> now a viable way to create a Windows native build?
> >>
> >> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/04/11/windows-10-creators-update-whats-new-in-bashwsl-windows-console/
> >
> > We'll still need a win32fe equivalent functionality somewhere..
>
> Understood.  I'm not trying to deal with that just now, but I would very
> much like to see a native Windows build without using cygwin.
>
> > Also Note:
> > https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2016/10/19/interop-between-windows-and-bash/
> > "Windows apps should NOT be used to open files in the Linux filesystem"
>
> That blog is six months old and can't still apply considering that the example has
>
>   echo hello > hello.txt
>   notepad.exe hello.txt

Ok - here is the difference between attempting a compile [with MS cl] on 'linux fs' vs 'windows fs'

balay at mb:~/petsc/src/benchmarks$ pwd
/home/balay/petsc/src/benchmarks
balay at mb:~/petsc/src/benchmarks$ cl.exe sizeof.c
Unable to translate current working directory. Using C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.10.25019 for x64

sizeof.c
c1: fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'sizeof.c': No such file or directory
balay at mb:~/petsc/src/benchmarks$ cd /mnt/c/Users/balay/Documents/petsc/src/benchmarks/
balay at mb:/mnt/c/Users/balay/Documents/petsc/src/benchmarks$ cl.exe sizeof.c
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.10.25019 for x64

sizeof.c
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.10.25019.0

/out:sizeof.exe
sizeof.obj
balay at mb:/mnt/c/Users/balay/Documents/petsc/src/benchmarks$

> > BTW: builds with ubuntu gcc goes through fine - but 'make alltest' randomly hangs..
>
> Where are you running?

On an experimental machine setup locally (so i can reset the OS as I
please - I needed that as I was playing with developer releases)

Note: even with win10 'creators update' - one has to set windows into
developer mode for WSL to work.

> The new blog claims that sshd works now, so it
> must be possible to set up a Windows machine/VM so that we can ssh into
> a bash shell.  That would vastly simplify the task of reproducing
> Windows oddities.

I'll have to check on that. From what I can recollect - a separate WSL
would be required for each user - and the user account system is
separate on WSL from windows accounts. So I wonder how sshd access
would work. [and then figuring out how to get cl working via ssh]

Its easy enough to use rdesktop over ssh. I can set that up for you..
[note: this mode limits to a a single user at a time]

For windows/cygwin testbox - I do use sshd for automated testing..

Satish