[petsc-dev] VecGetSubVector() outupt

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 06:17:40 CST 2016

The way we have chosen to manage Vec output is to override the VecView
function with DM-specific output functions. This strategy is currently
broken for VecGetSubVector().

Really what we want is for the Vec to have the correct subdm if indeed it
is a subfield. However, its possible that the IS is some random thing, like
points intersecting some surface, so we don't want it to blindly copy over
the function pointers.

How about we supplement DMCreateSubDM() with VecGetSubvectorDM(), which
calls it underneath and sets up the vector correctly?