[petsc-dev] PETSc release soon, request for input on needed fixes or enhancements

Lawrence Mitchell lawrence.mitchell at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 13:38:08 CDT 2016

On 16/03/16 18:24, Barry Smith wrote:

>> On Mar 16, 2016, at 9:37 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Lawrence Mitchell <lawrence.mitchell at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Barry,
>>
>> On 09/03/16 15:37, Barry Smith wrote:

>>> There is no way we can "fix" the management of the formats at this
>>> point. What value do we need for PETSCVIEWERFORMATPUSHESMAX to get
>>> everything to work for you?
>>
>> I ran some tests and I can't give you a sensible number here.  So
>> please leave the current value as is.
>>
>> This is breaking for me as well. I would like 640.
>
>   Please send me a case where you get breakage. It seems inconceivable to me that you are really running with 640 monitors at the same time.

One need not run with that many monitors concurrently.  One just needs
(say) KSPMonitorSetFromOptions to be called with the default stdout
viewer more than PETSCVIEWERFORMATPUSHESMAX.  This could easily happen
with a multigrid PC (which calls KSPSetFromOptions on each smoother)
inside a nonlinear solve (PCSetup_MG calls KSPSetFromOptions) when I'm
monitoring the levels.  Additionally, the push (if no viewer output
arguments are provided) affects the global viewer obtained from
PetscViewerASCIIGetStdout, so anything that pushes but doesn't pop
(any TS, SNES or KSP) onto that stdout viewer will count.

Cheers,

Lawrence