[petsc-dev] PCFIELDSPLIT MATNEST and NULL blocks

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jul 31 17:11:14 CDT 2016

> On Jul 31, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com> wrote:
> It’s the first time I’m trying to setup field split so maybe I’m missing something
>
> I have a MatNest with NULL (1,1) block. I setup the field split using the row ISs from the MatNest (a note aside: why they cannot be inferred by FieldSplit if pc->pmat is of type MatNEST?)
> Options used are -pc_fieldsplit_type additive and -pc_fieldsplit_detect_saddle_point
>
> You don't need ISes is you use detect_saddle_point, so use one or the other.
>
> I then get this error, because MatGetSubMatrix_Nest returns a NULL pointer.
> What is the solution? having MatGetSubMatrix_Nest return a zero-valued matrix of correct size? any command line option I’m not using? Or instead having Fieldsplit handle the case?
>
> I think have Nest return a real matrix is the right solution, since this is what will happen with other types.

   We could perhaps provide a MATNULL type which is an implementation of Mat that supports MatMult() etc for an empty matrix and get rid of the concept of a NULL being in the Nested structure.

I don't like MatCreateNest(MPI_Comm comm,PetscInt nr,const IS is_row[],PetscInt nc,const IS is_col[],const Mat a[],Mat *B) taking in Mat arguments that you built; rather based on the ISs it should create properly sized empty matrices with a MATNULL type set and then I think you should call MatNestGetSubMat(s) to set the types you want and provide preallocation information etc.

  Barry