[petsc-dev] Soliciting suggestions for linear solver work under SciDAC 4 Institutes

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 8 12:59:16 CDT 2016

> [...]
>
>   Jeff,
>
>    Would Intel sell me a system that had essentially no regular memory DRAM (which is too slow anyway) and no slow memory (which is absurdly too slow)?  What cost savings would I get in $ and power usage compared to say what is going in the theta? 10% and 20%, 5% and 30%, 5% and 5 %? If it is a significant savings then get the cut down machine, if it is insignificant than realize the cost of not using it (the DRAM you paid so little for) is insignificant and not worth worrying about, just like cruise control when you don't use the highway. Actually I could use the DRAM to store the history needed for the adjoints; so maybe it is ok to keep, but surely not useful for data that is continuously involved in the computation.
>
> Disclaimer: All of the following data is pulled off of the Internet, which in some cases is horribly unreliable.  My comments are strictly for academic discussion and not meant to be authoritative or have any influence on purchasing or design decisions.  Do not equate quoted TDP to measured power during any workload, or assume that different measurements can be compared directly.
>
> Your thinking is in line with http://www.nextplatform.com/2015/08/03/future-systems-intel-ponders-breaking-up-the-cpu/...
>
> Intel sells KNL packages as parts (http://ark.intel.com/products/family/92650/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Product-Family-x200#@Server) that don't have any DRAM in them, just MCDRAM.  It's the decision of the integrator what goes into the system, which of course is correlated to what the intended customer wants.  While you might not need a node with DRAM, many users do, and the systems that DOE buys are designed to meet the needs of their broad user base.
>
> I don't know if KNL is bootable without no DRAM at all - this is likely more to do with what motherboard, BIOS, etc. expect than the processor package itself.  However, the KNL alltoall mode addresses the case where DRAM channels are underpopulated (with fully populated channels, one should use quadrant, hemisphere, SNC-2 or SNC-4), so if DRAM is necessary, you should be able to boot it with only one channel populated.  Of course, if you do this, you'll get 1/6 of the DDR4 bandwidth.
>
> Just FYI: I have run on KNL systems with no DRAM, only MCDRAM.  This was on an internal lab machine and not a commercially available system, but I see no reason why one couldn't buy systems this way.
>

> It puts quite a bit of pressure on the system software footprint if one does not have DDR4.  Blue Gene CNK had a very small memory footprint, but commodity Linux is certainly much larger.  The memory footprint of MPI at scale depends on the fabric HW/SW.  It's probably cheaper to buy one 32 GB stick per node than pay for someone to write the system software that gives you at least 15.5 GB of usable MCDRAM.

   Sure.

    But this doesn't help with the question of whether the DRAM uses significant power. Say it does use significant power then it might make sense to be able to turn off most of the DRAM via software when running PETSc programs. If it doesn't use significant power then it doesn't matter if we don't use it.

  Barry