[petsc-dev] Problem with assembly of Jacobian in ex12 & ex77

Sander Arens Sander.Arens at ugent.be
Wed Jul 6 10:35:02 CDT 2016

> Ok, that makes sense. I did not find documentation on PetscDSAddBoundary
> but I managed to use the old functions to impose the correct BC.

See:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-dev/docs/manualpages/DM/PetscDSAddBoundary.html,
but it does the same as DMAddBoundary.

I must have made some changes without noticing when i tried to follow the
> workings of the ex77 sourcecode, my apologies. I copied the example again
> and it runs and converges fine now with the options you provided. If I
> change -dim to 2 however it does not converge and / or produce the correct
> Jacobian. But as far as I understand, ex77 is not intended to run in 2D.

Indeed, jacobians and residuals are only implemented for 3d.

I have troubles to understand what you mean with “tabulate the basis” and I
> am not too familiar with the concept of dual spaces. My intention is to use
> the  PetscFE  infrastructure to construct the global Jacobian to give to
> the nonlinear solver. As a simple example, I tried using snes for solving a
> linear elastic problem in 2D and PetscFE to create the Jacobian and to
> impose the BC.
> I do now have a program that runs and gives the correct solution if I use
> the matrix-free SNES solver. -snes_type test gives a ratio of 0.45 however
> and I am almost certain that the stiffness tensor I create is correct (I
> checked the assembly algorithm in numpy and it gives the expected cauchy
> stress tensor). The only explanation I have left is some misunderstanding
> on my side about how the double contraction works in Petsc.

Ah yes, if you have a tensor like A^i_I^j_J you should switch the I and j
(first index is the component of the test function, second index is the
component of the trial function, third index is the derivative index of the
test function and fourth index is the derivative index of the trial
function).

Thanks,
Sander