[petsc-dev] Always compiling and installing Ctetgen even without updates

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 26 11:05:49 CST 2016

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Barry Smith wrote:

> > On Jan 26, 2016, at 10:39 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >

> >> On Jan 26, 2016, at 12:33 AM, Justin Chang <jychang48 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi developers,
> >>
> >> Is there any particular reason why PETSc ./configure always compiles and installs Ctetgen even if no updates are made to the source code?
> >
> >  Yes
>
>     Matt reworked tetgen to use the PETSc include files thus ctetgen cannot be built before the PETSc configure files are generated and written. Hence it is compiling ctetgen using the package.postProcess() method instead of the usual method used for building other packages. The postProcess() is less mature and doesn't yet have checks to prevent unnecessary recompiles etc. Someday it may be improved.

Since petscconf.h is regenereated [each time configure is run] -
rebuilding ctetgen [every time] is the correct thing to do - per
dependencies.

The build [of ctetgen] uses legacy makefiles - that don't generate/use
proper dependencies. [and if the proper dependencies are
generated/used - there will be a rebuild each time - due to the
changed petscconf.h anyway.]

Satish