[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] PETSc release soon, request for input on needed fixes or enhancements

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 29 12:41:37 CST 2016

> On Feb 29, 2016, at 12:28 PM, Bhalla, Amneet Pal S <amneetb at live.unc.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 29, 2016, at 8:51 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> The three options are all independent. Turn them all on for faster time --with-debugging=0  --with-viewfromoptions=0 --with-errorchecking=0
>

> I am trying out this. Just to be sure --with-viewfromoptions=0 does not however disable command line options given to various PETSc solvers, right?

  Correct. It does not turn off setting solver options from the command line.

  It only turns off things like -ksp_view -snes_view -ksp_view_mat etc that one doesn't usually want in production runs anyways. The reason to turn those off is that they are checked directly in the solver routines such as KSPSolve(), the solver options are checked in KSPSetFromOptions() etc which are not called for each solve.