[petsc-dev] TS Equation Type

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 5 10:26:23 CST 2016

Matt and the rest of the PETSc developers,

This issue is not whether the TS is linear or nonlinear, but whether it
is explicit or implicit. As far as I can tell only TS type
Implicit-Explicit Runge Kutta makes use of the equation_type.

The equations types defined in petscts.h are:

   TS_EQ_UNSPECIFIED               = -1,
   TS_EQ_EXPLICIT                  = 0,
   TS_EQ_ODE_EXPLICIT              = 1,
   TS_EQ_DAE_SEMI_EXPLICIT_INDEX1  = 100,
   TS_EQ_DAE_SEMI_EXPLICIT_INDEX2  = 200,
   TS_EQ_DAE_SEMI_EXPLICIT_INDEX3  = 300,
   TS_EQ_DAE_SEMI_EXPLICIT_INDEXHI = 500,
   TS_EQ_IMPLICIT                  = 1000,
   TS_EQ_ODE_IMPLICIT              = 1001,
   TS_EQ_DAE_IMPLICIT_INDEX1       = 1100,
   TS_EQ_DAE_IMPLICIT_INDEX2       = 1200,
   TS_EQ_DAE_IMPLICIT_INDEX3       = 1300,
   TS_EQ_DAE_IMPLICIT_INDEXHI      = 1500

For PyLith we would like the TS implementation (type) to set the
equation type so we can detect whether the user has specified an
implicit or explicit algorithm and set the residual and Jacobian
functions appropriately. For example, the user may want to solve the
linear elasticity equation for a quasi-static problem with implicit time
stepping or a dynamic problem with explicit time stepping.

Brad