[petsc-dev] plans for PETSc release

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 24 13:17:57 CDT 2016

  Jed,

1)   I don't think having a feature freeze in master for a week is tenable at all. Developers want to move stuff along into it and continue work as they should. Plus developers don't like to think that stuff they are working and just finishing won't be in a release for another year so will lobby (as Lisandro did) to slip into the current release.

2)   You seem to think that if we announce a freeze on master (or some branch) dozens of disparate types of users will jump all over it and do massive testing during that week finding all kinds of issues. Maybe that happens with some package's users but not PETSc; we're lucky if one or two people give it a half-hearted try out.

   This is why I think having a quick turn around time in preparing a release is best; so long as all nightly's run clean then I think we should "pop out" a release as quickly as possible on that.

  Your concern about breaking maint is admirable, next time we could use a different temporary branch name for this beast to prevent confusion.

   Barry

You are being a bit pedantically Roscoe in this thread.