[petsc-dev] Adding support for new sparse BLAS inspector-executor routines in MKL

Richard Mills richardtmills at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:25:00 CDT 2015

Ha!  Thanks, Barry -- your way with words is always appreciated. =)

Matt, the inheritance model *is* kinda sucky and broken but at least you
guys didn't use C++, so I'll take it.  I will take a look at the different
subclasses (including the one that I wrote =) ) to refresh my memory about
how to do this correctly.

I need to get an initial implementation in place first, but I'll go ahead
and ask about how I'll eventually need to set things up in BuildSystem for
this.  Perhaps I should follow a similar model to the MKL Pardiso support,
i.e., make the user explicitly ask for this?  Something like
'--with-mkl_spmv2-dir=LOCATION_OF_INTEL_MKL'?

What is the workflow for making changes to BuildSystem these days?  Do we
have this documented somewhere?  I ask because I'll need to add something
for configuring the MKL inspector-executor stuff, and also because, in a
separate issue, I need to add support for the memkind library (
https://github.com/memkind/memkind).  (Yes, Jed, I know you don't like it
but it's what we've got for now for using KNL MCDRAM.  I hope someone comes
up with an intelligent middleware approach to dealing with this at some
point.)

--Richard