[petsc-dev] broken options handling with intel 16.0 compilers on mac OS

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Sep 23 16:48:26 CDT 2015

Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> writes:

> What the specification document says is irrelevant, since every
> implementation still supports the C++ bindings.  They can be disabled
> explicitly in MPICH (and derivatives) via MPICH_SKIP_MPICXX and in OpenMPI
> with OMPI_SKIP_MPICXX.

It's a linking discussion, and you would only need to link libmpicxx.so
(or whatever) if you actually used those bindings.  We certainly don't
do that and any other project that still uses them should be chastised.

BTW, PETSc defines the above macros for simplicity and to avoid the
unfortunate messes that used to plague the C++ implementations.