[petsc-dev] including PETSc4py (and Tao4py) inside PETSc repository

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 22 15:39:39 CDT 2015

   Lisandro,

    Now that everyone is using git and knows branches well can we move PETSc4py inside the PETSc repository as was done a couple of years ago with BuildSystem. Now when changes/additions are made to PETSc there is a slow inefficient, often forgotten manual process of bringing them over to petsc4py. If we put them all in one repository the updates happen quickly and far more efficiently, as would testing. We'll also get the ability to do bi-section.

   I realize you want a PETSc4py release to be compatible with previous versions of PETSc; this property could still remain and we could easily have a tool that "pulls out" the petsc4py release material from the petsc repository.

   I think once we make this change we'll wonder why we didn't do it log ago; just as when we changed BuildSystem.  Thoughts?

   Thanks