[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint] Petsc configure Error on Edison on NERSC

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 20 15:51:03 CDT 2015

   Satish,

     We get too many mails like this, it wastes our time and their time. In config/configure.py please add checks if the machine is a cray
that the user did not provide an MPI dir, and that the user did pass in

  '--with-clib-autodetect=0',
  '--with-cxxlib-autodetect=0',
  '--with-fortranlib-autodetect=0',

and any other mandatory things and error out with a very useful error message telling them what options to use and not to use.

  Barry

It is absurd to think that somehow Cray users will magically know to use the auto detect = 0 flag and not provide an MPI dir etc.