[petsc-dev] including PETSc4py (and Tao4py) inside PETSc repository

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 22 15:20:14 CDT 2015

   Lisandro,

    You never responded to this. I assume it was because you did not like the idea? This is not an attempt to take control of petsc4py or to take credit away from petsc4py from you. Petsc4py is your package and you will always be the one who deserves the credit.

    The problem is that mutual efficient development of very intertwined packages is difficult if they are in different respositories. For example petsc4py has been out of date with petsc master for many weeks now because it is too much effort to update the petsc4py repository each time we make some change in PETSc. Thus it becomes a burden on you to go in every once in a while and fix up petsc4py. With one repository changes would happen in both PETSc source and petsc4py source at the same time and tests would detect problems immediately.

   Thoughts?

   Barry