[petsc-dev] Do we still need to support python 2.4?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 13 18:50:04 CDT 2015

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015, Barry Smith wrote:

>   print '*          Python is easy to install for end users or sys-admin.              *'
>   print '*                  http://www.python.org/download/                            *'

Actually I don't think python is trivial for most end-users to install
[with all the modules - like ssl, compression and others stuff that
configure requires].

However I think RHEL5 and similar OSes are on clusters/servers
supported by a sys-admin. And they might already have python-2.6 or
newer [but its accessed with python26 or might need a proper module to
be loaded]

If missing - google gives easy install guide for [admins] for rhel5.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1465036/install-python-2-6-in-centos
[install prebuilt binary from 'fedora epel'

http://bda.ath.cx/blog/2009/04/08/installing-python-26-in-centos-5-or-rhel5/
[install some devel packages from rhel - before attempting to compile
python from sources]

Hopefully we don't have to deal with other OSes with python-2.4

Satish