[petsc-dev] [Bitbucket] Pull request #375: Pass LDFLAGS down to GNUPackage externalpackages. (petsc/petsc)

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 12 15:39:55 CDT 2015

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 3:34 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Barry Smith wrote:
>
>>> We currently don't pass in LDFLAGS - but we can do that with the patch
>>> I mentioned.
>>
>>  Ok, pass down the LDFLAGS but ONLY if the user provided LDFLAGS otherwise we should not be passing in a LDFLAGS="'" to the sub packages
>>

> Why the 'only'? What would be the problem with passing LDFLAGS=""?

   Because you don't know how each external package will process a LDFLAGS=""?   For example if LDFLAGS is passed they may just use it and if it is not passed they may figure out themselves what to use for linker flags. By passing in a "" you would be preventing them from doing their usual "figuring out" and thus they may get into a state that doesn't work.

  Barry