[petsc-dev] Configure problem on Titan

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Mar 12 07:59:47 CDT 2015

> Anything is possible, if one based ./configure on "what could go wrong with it" then ./configure couldn't really do anything.

When we talk about failure rates, we also have to include how expensive
the failure mode is.  If the cost is that everything goes through and
maybe even some examples seem to run correctly, but subtle things (like
MatElemental) cause data corruption, it's going to be a really painful
debugging session.  We won't be able to reproduce it locally because we
link correctly.  Really expensive both in human time and in reputation
(depending on the user).

Is it still better for configure to guess instead of asking the user?
Maybe, though I hate to say it.  The user might get -lstdc++ wrong as
much or more than configure.