[petsc-dev] Configure problem on Titan

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Mar 11 22:54:39 CDT 2015

Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> writes:
> No, I meant that I queried the C wrapper, then the C++ wrapper, then the
> Fortran wrapper, independently, and used those options as needed for
> interlanguage linking.

I don't understand.

  g++ -o foo foo.o

works fine even when foo.o is C++ because it automatically provides
-lstdc++/-lc++ (and -lm) as needed.  Similarly,

  gfortran -o bar bar.o

works fine without any -lgfortran hoopla.  But neither of these work:

  g++ -o foobar foo.o bar.o
  gfortran -o foobar foo.o bar.o

So where are you going to find -lstdc++ and/or -lgfortran so that you
can link without guessing?

Unix is a ghetto.  The tragedy is that everything else is worse.