[petsc-dev] What should MatReset() do?

Dmitry Karpeyev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 6 20:53:30 CST 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > On Mar 6, 2015, at 8:22 PM, Dmitry Karpeyev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:03 PM Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> counts the
> >
> >    No it does not. Note in MatZeroRows_SeqAIJ() when entries are deleted
> from the matrix we still increase the nonzerostate.
> > From MatAssemblyEnd_MPIAIJ():
> >
> >   if ((!mat->was_assembled && mode == MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY) ||
> !((Mat_SeqAIJ*)(aij->A->data))->nonew) {
> >     PetscObjectState state = aij->A->nonzerostate + aij->B->nonzerostate;
>
>   This is ok. So long as the two sub matrix states are always increasing
> the state of the total matrix will increase.
>
> >     ierr = MPI_Allreduce(&state,&mat->nonzerostate,1,MPIU_INT64,MPI_
> SUM,PetscObjectComm((PetscObject)mat));CHKERRQ(ierr);
> >   }
> >
> > Barring MatZeroRows MATSEQAIJ matrices aij->A and aij->B will simply
> increment their nonzerostates on each new nonzero insertion in
> MatSetVAlues_SeqAIJ(), so the containing MATMPIAIJ M ends up with the total
> number of nonzeros in its nonzerostate.
> >
> > Now I reset my M.  That will blow away aij->A and aij->B.
>
>   They should not be "blown away". They should also be reset and in being
> reset their nonzerostate will never get smaller.

Okay, this requires implementing MatReset_XXX() that will carefully clean
things out for each matrix type, whereas I was using a simple-minded
approach of just destroying and recreating the object.  Partly because this
is more or less the equivalent of the only way to "reset" the matrix now:
MatSetType(M,othertype);MatSetType(M,oldtype) (*).

> >  I can now insert the same number of nonzeros, but in a different
> pattern.  M will end up with the same nonzerostate as before the reset and
> confuse the PC, no?
>
>    Why are you reseting the nonzerostate to zero, just don't do that.

I'm not resetting it to anything: nonzerostate will get recomputed from
those of A&B using Allreduce.  They (A&B), however, will get rebuilt from
scratch, if all of M's  guts are destroyed and recreated.  Even if we
insist on writing complicated MatReset_XXX() variants that avoid that,   we
still need to make sure that (*) above (which will destroy and recreate the
inner A&B) doesn't confuse the preconditioner.  Or do we simply tell the
user not to do that :-)?