[petsc-dev] external package ML and 64 bit

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 5 11:35:58 CST 2015

   Matt,

    Please don't put such fixes into random branches you happen to be working on (like knepley/feature-parallel-configure). It is better to go directly into their only little branch.

    Your fix doesn't work. I have pushed a fix in the branch barry/error-on-64bitindices-with-ml and merged into next. Also explained why 64 bit indices with ML are not going to happen in ml.py

   self.requires32bitint  = 1;  # ml uses a combination of "global" indices that can be 64 bit and local indices that are always int therefore it is
                                 # essentially impossible to use ML's 64 bit integer mode with PETSc's --with-64-bit-indices

   Note: also this is the "Trilinos style" of having these two kinds of indices. I debated doing this with PETSc but felt it was too complex with little payoff.

  Barry