[petsc-dev] PETSc and threads

Richard Mills richardtmills at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 12:36:53 CST 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Richard Mills <rtm at utk.edu> wrote:
>
>> Resurrecting old thread here:
>>
>> I realize that I haven't contributed any code to PETSc in about 1.5
>> years, and this makes me sad, *especially* with PETSc's 20th birthday
>> coming up.  If it is not going to step on anyone's toes, I'd like to start
>> doing some of the implementation work that Barry outlines below (and try to
>> learn something about MPI 3 in the process, of which I've read some and
>> coded none).  Any suggestions on where I should start, guys?  Maybe
>> VecScatter because it already has support for a bunch of various back-ends:
>> start adding -vecscatter_neighbor_alltotall?
>>

> With respect to this, what about:
>
>   1) Making a PetscSF implementation of VecScatter
>
>   2) Making a neighbor collective implementation for PetscSF
>
>   3) Some scalability tests comparing normal VecScatter to the others that
> can be run by anyone
>
>    Thanks,
>
>      Matt

Yes, I think the above makes the most sense.  I was actually surprised to
see that there was not already a PetscSF implementation for VecScatter.  I
will start looking into this.

Since I have never worked with PetscSF, is there any good documentation for
PetscSF other than the man pages?  I see that Jed wrote something a few
years ago:

  http://59a2.org/files/StarForest.pdf

Is there anything more recent (that isn't missing sections)?

--Richard