[petsc-dev] Seeking OLCF users complaining about poor build times

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 26 22:19:10 CST 2015

 Nathan,

    Can you please do a configure make on your home directory system?

     It could be since Lustre is a parallel filesystem designed for high bandwidth IO from a parallel computer it is just bad for compiles etc.

  Barry

https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/support/getting-started/

home areas
Home areas/directories are provided on a Network File System (NFS). The user home areas are by default accessible only to the owning user. Similarly the project home areas are accessible by only member of the project. The areas are backed-up but available space is limited. Because space is limited, each area has a quota. Users should store small source code, scripts, and other similar items in the area. Users should not store large job output or input in the area. Job I/O should be performed in the system’s temporary work area.
work areas
Temporary work directories are provided to each user and project on Lustre file systems. Similar to the home areas, by default, the user and project areas are accessible to the user and project members. The areas provide a large amount of storage, but are not backed-up. In general, job I/O performance will be faster in the lustre areas than the NFS mounted home areas. The temporary work areas are regularly purged of data that has not been recently accessed, because of this all needed data should be backed-up to the HPSS.