[petsc-dev] Seeking OLCF users complaining about poor build times

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 26 18:18:58 CST 2015

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 6:12 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>   It may be if we do all this and get the numbers we will no longer
>>   have any right to bitch and moan about configure/make time on at
>>   least 2 of the systems.
>
> Why not run a stripped down configure to eliminate these variables and
> set a lower bound?  I think you'll find it's way slower than a laptop.

  Sure it will be 2 minutes on the laptop and 7 minutes on the big system but as I said in my other email that is acceptable and no one will listen too us (for good reason) if we bitch about it. It is when it is 4 minutes on the laptop for configure and build and 1 hour on the big machine for configure and build that we have the right to scream and yell.