[petsc-dev] Seeking OLCF users complaining about poor build times

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 26 17:48:56 CST 2015

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 5:42 PM, Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 26, 2015, at 5:34 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> parallel make. May be much faster.
>
> I think my sysadmin would frown on that. This was done on the regular login node which at the moment has 169 users.

  What is a "login node"? Is it a node you log in to compile code? So its purpose is pretty much only to compile code? What kind of load does it have? If people just stay logged into all the time then they may not be contributing any load.

  BTW: PETSc does a parallel compile (which is why it is so fast) did the sysadmin complain ?