[petsc-dev] TSSolve web page JED and EMIL READ THIS!

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 8 20:41:35 CST 2015

  If the number of degrees of freedom do not change and they have essentially the same "meaning" regardless of which process they are on then we can "hide" inside the Vec object (and Mat object) the fact that they move around between processors so TS shouldn't care.

  BUT note that if the user manages the calling of TSStep() themselves then the user has to similarly manage calling the TSAdjointStep() stuff correctly themselves backwards. And if they are ad hoc combining TSStep() for the field with some "push particle" crap for the particles then likely all the TSAdjoint stuff goes out the window. Hence my desire for TS to treat the entire field+particle stuff as one "big old" set of ODEs so users get all the good stuff (like Adjoints and proper coupled error control) for free.