[petsc-dev] TSSolve web page JED and EMIL READ THIS!

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Feb 6 20:59:40 CST 2015

>    So going back to my email, now with more clarity, do we get rid of
>    the XXXSetSolution/RightHandSide() paradigm; this would void
>    questions like Mark's about what the differences are between
>    them**. But do we lose any useful functionality?

I think the main possible loss is if we want an automatic
spatially-adaptive TSSolve.  The way I see it, the caller must provide
an initial condition (on some grid) and needs to know whether the
returned solution is on a different grid.  I'm not convinced it's
PETSc's business to deal with this (nontrivial user code tends to have
so many external/auxiliary dependencies that I predict most will be
calling TSSolve in their own adaptive loop anyway).  If it is PETSc's
business, I don't have a problem with a new function that does adaptive
solves.