[petsc-dev] [petsc-checkbuilds] PETSc blame digest (master) 2015-08-11

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 12 10:31:22 CDT 2015

This statement doesn't make any sense to me. Perhaps there is some
fundamantal misunderstanding of the feature-branch development
workflow.

The code at issue as added in the commit
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/7f66b68fbcb45782e0c9b893f85850ff63bc7671
Looks like this commit was done directy on master (yesterday).

And I already pushed a fix to master.
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/0cf9542a75531c2ab67ebfa2ea06957c067265e8

So this reference to 'I did it just now and put it un my branch'
doesn't make sense. The general rule is:
- any fix that originated in a feature branch should go into that branch
- if that feature branch is merged into maint/master/next - then merge
the feature banch again (with the fix) to the corresponding
maint/master/next branch

And 'that I will merge this week' doesn't make sense wrt workflow - if
there is an issue in master -its best fixed immediately.

And also the a direct fix to 'next' is also a no-no wrt workflow [I
should have done a merge from master to next yesterday - my error]
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/da1b7514fb5716aa095cad1489e6d6ad1925b456

Now we have the same fix (in different commits) dangling in multiple branches
- one I made directly to master
- one you made directly to next
- one you appear to have in a some feature branch - expected to merge this week.
Not a big deal - but easily avoidable.

Satish