[petsc-dev] [GPU - slepc] Hands-on exercise 4 (SVD) not working with GPU and default configurations

Leoni, Massimiliano Massimiliano.Leoni at Rolls-Royce.com
Mon Aug 10 07:47:33 CDT 2015

I know, but I couldn't find a dense gpu type in the petsc manual, please correct me if there is any.

> Please send the output of -log_summary so that we can see where most
> time is spent.
I am unable to do that as somehow I am having no output when I use that option. I also tried to explicitly call PetscLogView but still nothing is printed out.
If I try with one of the slepc examples, I get the output.
Why is this happening? If I run my code with -info or -log_trace I see their output, only -log_summary is shy!

> If you have good (recent) CPUs in dual-socket configuration, it's more than
> unlikely that you will gain anything beyond ~2x with an optimized GPU setup.
> Even that ~2x may only be possible with heavily tweaking the current SVD-
> implementation in SLEPc, of which I don't know the details.
I used Xeon processors from 2010, just like the GPUs.
This is not good news, as my supervisor is really optimist about using GPUs and getting high speed-ups!
Anyway, at the moment my gpu version is several times slower than the cpu version, so even a 2x would be a win now :D

Massimiliano
The data contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information. If you have received it in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and contact +44 (0) 1332 622800(Security Operations Centre) if you need assistance. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.

An e-mail response to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.

(c) 2015 Rolls-Royce plc

Registered office: 62 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6AT Company number: 1003142. Registered in England.