[petsc-dev] Adding VecErrorNormWRMS()

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Apr 30 10:30:06 CDT 2015

Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> writes:

> Jed, I would like to make the following changes:
>
> *Add PetscErrorCode VecErrorNormWRMS(Vec U,Vec Y,PetscReal atol,Vec
> vatol,PetscReal rtol,Vec vrtol,PetscReal *norm).
>
> Any alternative name to suggest?

Fine, but how would you deal with Shri's ts->is_diff?  And Shri, why did
you implement that by creating these index sets instead of setting those
entries of vatol to +Infinity?  That's why we have vector weighted norms
after all.

> * Implement TSErrorNormWRMS() in terms of VecErrorNormWRMS().
>
> PS: These changes are preliminary ones, next I want to suggest a
> mechanism to let TS subtypes to decide how to compute the LTE error
> (or approximation to it).

Cool; the current solution is more complicated and less flexible than
necessary, IMO.