[petsc-dev] Adding a XDMF/HDF5 viewer in natural (mesh ordering)

Ataollah Mesgarnejad amesga1 at tigers.lsu.edu
Wed Apr 15 11:20:25 CDT 2015

Dear PETSc developers,

We have been working over the past month to implement a Vec viewer for
DMPlex that stores the vectors in natural (mesh) ordering. To do this I
construct a PetscSF that does the communication between different ranks. I
plan to use the output Vec with the current HDF5 implementation to write it
on each cpu. In the next step I will add an XDMF viewer that calls this
HDF5 VecView internally to write the XML header file as well as the HDF5
containers.

As of now I have forked PETSc (here
<https://bitbucket.org/mesgarnejad/petsc>) and implemented and tested the
infrastructure for scattering to natural ordering.

Now my two questions right now:

   - I want to compute this PetscSF once and attach to either the DMPlex
   object or the Viewer and I wanted to ask the dev team's opinions as where
   it should be attached?
   - We talked with Matt and the consensus was that this viewer will be
   similar to his HDF5_VIZ i.e., as an sub format.

I also welcome any comments and/or suggestions that you may have.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice,
Ata