[petsc-dev] related to compiling your source code

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 14 16:01:53 CDT 2015

> using "-pc_type_hypre" in ~/.petscrc is a bad practice. [it makes
> sense only for global options that are useful for multiple petsc
> applications - like -malloc_dump]

The problem is that users pass rc files around, scp, mail, whatever, and
they put it their home directory temporarily and leave it there.

It is just very error prone and the error is really hard to figure out.
Many computational scientists would not cut is Linux developers but PETSc
has to deal with them (eg, me!).  My users just don't want to know much
about PETSc, which makes it worse -- the users don't know much about PETSc
but they have to deal with the rc interface.