[petsc-dev] installing external packages as shared?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Sep 8 17:08:19 CDT 2014

>    When should we install external packages as shared, currently if
>    —with-PACKAGENAME-shared is set or if —with-shared-libraries is set
>    we do it for some packages (like MPICH). Other packages, such as
>    hypre don’t build properly as shared. So my question is if
>    —with-shared-libraries is set should be build the packages that can
>    be built with shared libraries or should we build static unless
>    specifically requested for that package?

What does --download intend to be?

1. A general-purpose package manager bundled with PETSc.  Installs
packages in a way that makes sense on the user's computer and is
fully-functional independent of PETSc.

2. A quick and dirty way of installing dependencies to be used by PETSc.
Not intended to be used independent from PETSc (though it might work).
Package manager functionality like upgrades and uninstall are not
provided.

If 1, then packages should be installed in the way that makes most sense
on the target computer, so shared libraries in most cases where it is
possible.  This is a busy space with lots of competitors that rarely
play well together.  If 2, then it's okay to always build static
libraries (with -fPIC) and link them into libpetsc.so (when libpetsc.so
is dynamic).