[petsc-dev] ccache sucks!

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 6 22:01:22 CDT 2014

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, Barry Smith wrote:
>

> >   The first configure fails with ccache, removing it does not fail
>

> stderr:
> clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-I /var/folders/c1/ldz_dt8n2r3dtwv_chp5pfr40000gq/T/petsc-a0322M/config.setCompilers'
> <<<<<<<
>
> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/CCacheMac says use:
>
> CC="ccache clang -Qunused-arguments"
> CXX="ccache clang++ -Qunused-arguments"

Also:

In order to use ccache with clang, you need to use the current git HEAD, since the most recent version (3.1.9) doesn't contain the patch needed for using the chromium style plugin.

https://ccache.samba.org/
2013-01-06: Version 3.1.9 has been released

It appears there were no ccache releases in the past 20 months.
[something to check is if latest git also requries -Qunused-arguments or not]

Satish