[petsc-dev] I hate nagupgrade

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 13:39:12 CST 2014

Matthew Knepley writes:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Sean Farley <sean.michael.farley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Matthew Knepley writes:

>> > I find it hard to believe he is a science professor with that kind of
>> > inference
>> > from the data (you can see it retrieves a webpage). Maybe climate ;)

>> > urllib2 has the timeout argument, so we should switch. I am not sure I
>> see
>> > retrieving a webpage as unprofessional. Is there a better way to update
>> > information, or do we want a model that is completely dead once
>> downloaded?
>> > I think people now assume that this is not true.
>>
>> Speaking from my experience as being a package maintainer, all of 0
>> packages do this 'phone home' in MacPorts. That's a sample size of
>> almost 20,000 packages.
>>

> If we count by usage rather than number of packages, then I believe this
> behavior
> is the norm (Flash, Windows, OSX).

Look man, you don't have to convince me; I'm already donating my time
and resources to keep PETSc working in MacPorts.

The fact remains that the package management community views PETSc as
difficult to work with and no one really wants to deal with it except
for me. I'm just trying to give you some feedback on how most other
command-line / open source packages work (and that they have good
reasons to do it this way). Take it or leave it.