[petsc-dev] 8f4ae08

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 13:28:12 CST 2014

Emil Constantinescu writes:

> On 11/11/14 11:33 AM, Mark Adams wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov
>> <mailto:balay at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Mark Adams wrote:
>>
>>     > On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov <mailto:balay at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     > > On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Mark Adams wrote:
>>     > >
>>     > > > BTW, valgrind works on my Mac now after switching to HomeBrew.  v10.9.5.
>

> I've been using it via Mac Ports with v10.9.5. It started working maybe
> a couple of months ago. I used the defaults, no special compiler settings.

That's probably with Mavericks and earlier. Historically, it's been
extremely difficult to get valgrind to work on a mac. On top of that,
valgrind's "support" for the mac is basically just silencing errors and
working around issues that is up to Apple to fix.

Honestly, you'll probably get better results through using the Apple
provided Instruments:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/InstrumentsUserGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

It is less convenient to run than a command line tool but is more
supported. Pick your poison.