[petsc-dev] More prefetch

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 4 15:40:32 CST 2014

> On Nov 3, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Eric Chamberland <Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> it all looks like we have a bug with prefetch with PGI 14.7 + cpu specific compilation options.  We have a "signal 4 : illegal instruction (not reset when caught) " within MatMult_SeqAIJ_Inode.  The only thing we see there than can bug is the prefetch thing...
>
> We were asking ourself two things:
>
> #1- Since we don't kow how to handle these kinds of functions (_mm_*), how ca we test them?  Is the "example" in Configure.py:606 sufficient to validate a good/bad result?

  Unfortunately the test only checks if the link works, it doesn’t test if the prefetch actually does anything or might generate an error.  Writing a proper (runtime) test for this, especially in a batch environment seems very difficult.

> #2- How can we disable PETSC_Prefetch when doing the petsc configuration?

  I have added the option —with-prefetch=0   (or —disable-prefetch etc) it is contained in the attached patch and will be in the next release as well as being in the PETSc repository (maint, master, and next).  Note those are always two dashes, do not cut and paste the — from above.