[petsc-dev] comments on make streams

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Mar 23 15:42:44 CDT 2014

Hi,

nice work, Barry :-)

Is the plotting facility sufficiently reliable and available on target
machines? The last thing we want to see is that 'make test' errors out
because of a plotting failure.

 >     I agree with Matt I don’t like the other plot overlaid on top. Too
> difficult to understand. I also don’t like a separate plot, nor do I
> want to remove the perfect scaling because on a decent system it
> provides useful information. I have tried the following: the top of the
> prefect scaling will be removed to make sure that at least 1/3 of the y
> axis is used to display actual scaling. See attached image (of course it
> could be changed to use 1/2 the y axis or whatever.) Is this a
> reasonable compromise.

I like it, it is a good compromise. Two more suggestions:
  - What about using a dashed line (no points) for the ideal scaling?
The current blue points suggest that this is actual measured data.
  - Add a (small) legend on the top right, because we don't expect to
see actual data points there? If the legend covers the ideal scaling
curve, it's not an issue.

Best regards,
Karli